Ukrainian Sports Club Karpaty – Toronto, which has been associated with the Ukrainian National Federation Toronto Branch for a number of years, celebrated its 10th year anniversary on October 28. This year, special guests arrived from Ukraine to be part of the festivities – former soccer stars of Ukraine, most of whom now are coaches for professional teams in Ukraine. The eight stars included: Serhii Mizin, Vasyl Pavliuk, Volodymyr Stupar, Volodymyr Kovalyuk, Oleksandr Boiko, Oleksandr Ishchenko, Vasyl Meserenko, and Volodymyr Sharan.
Two soccer games were combined with the traditional awards ceremonies, all held at Centennial Park Stadium in Etobicoke in Toronto’s west-end. The first game was between the USC Karpaty soccer team comprised of boys under 12 years of age and an Allstar under 12 team trained by Ihor Prokipchuk with the Islington Rangers. The Allstars took the hard fought game 2-0 with two goals in the second half.
The second game ended in a 3-3 tie, with the Toronto Ukrainian Soccer Allstars (comprised of players from clubs, Halychyna SC, Slavutich FC, USC Karpaty, Ukraina SA, and Ukraina United) vs. the visiting Ukrainian former soccer stars team.
The games were followed by the USC Karpaty 10th Anniversary Banquet at the Taras Shevchenko Community Centre on Horner Avenue in Etobicoke. The celebration included a wine tasting of the newly LCBO listed Rosewood Estates Mead Royale Honey Wine, a donation with draw prizes sponsored by AV Canada, singing performances and MC role by the renowned singer/artist from Ukraine Mykola Sikora, a dinner, an auction for jerseys (FC Dynamo Kyiv and Ukrainian National Team) and soccer balls signed by the Ukrainian stars, and Zabava (dance) to round out the eventful evening.
The anniversary banquet was a successful fundraising event and the USC Karpaty players were brave being in uniform for the awards ceremonies at Centennial Park Stadium conducted in the rain, wind, and cold.
The Ukrainian former stars also held clinics for all USC Karpaty team practices during the week leading up to the anniversary celebration matches.
The following information is on the Ukrainian former soccer stars:
– Serhii Mizin - played between 1996 and 2007 as a midfielder for teams like FC Dynamo Kyiv, Karpaty Lviv, Metalist Kharkiv, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, among others in the Premier League. He scored 90 goals in his career and made 7 appearances for the Ukrainian National Team;
– Vasyl Pavliuk - played for Kolos Chernivtsi;
– Volodymyr Stupar - his career included playing for SKA Karpaty-Lviv, Kryvbas Kryvyj Rih, and FC Zirka Kirovohrad;
– Volodymyr Kovalyuk - played as a defender and midfielder with Karpaty Lviv, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, FC Dynamo Kyiv and FC Shakhtar Donetsk, and now head coach of Enerhetyk Burshtyn in the Ukrainian First League;
– Oleksandr Boiko - played for FC Dynamo Kyiv;
– Oleksandr Ishchenko - played for SKA Odesa and FC Zirka Kirovohrad, coached Ukraine’s under 21 team, Karpaty Lviv and Illichivets Mariupol, and now head coach for FC Dynamo Kyiv reserves and youth team;
– Vasyl Meserenko - played for Enerhetyk Burshtyn in the Ukrainian First League;
– Volodymyr Sharan - played as a midfielder with FC Dynamo Kyiv in the 1990s winning three Ukrainian championships and a Ukrainian Cup, played for the Soviet Union in 1991 in the FIFA World Youth Championship, managed PFC Oleksandria in the Ukrainian First League, and was a sports director for Karpaty Lviv.
For further information, contact Steve Mazur at 647-706-6924 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.uscakcanada.ca
1 – Opening Ceremonies
2 – Awards Ceremonies with Boys Team under 16 years of age
3 – Ukrainian Former Soccer Stars Team (L.-R.): Volodymyr Stupar; Vasyl Mezerenko; Vasyl Pavliuk; Volodymyr Kovalyuk; Serhii Mizin; Volodymyr Sharan; Oleksandr Boiko; Oleksandr Ishchenko
Photos by Markian Radomsky